Lemon Thyme Chicken
1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp Real Salt or sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
3/4 white wine, optional
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried thyme or 8-10 whole sprigs of fresh thyme
1/4 tsp oregano or 4 whole sprigs fresh oregano
1. Preheat a large fry pan on medium/high heat. Melt oil if preheated pan, sauté the chicken breasts about 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
2. Add the lemon juice, wine if desired, chicken broth, thyme, and oregano, stir and cover. Cook and stir 8-10 minutes, turning chicken occasionally until done. Remove the chicken, thyme, and oregano from pan (if using fresh herbs).
3. Combine cornstarch and water and mix until smooth; pour it into the pan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Slice chicken, top with the sauce and serve with rice.
Chicken with Apricots
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup sliced green olives
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs chicken fillets
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 14 oz can chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1. Preheat large fry pan on medium/high heat for 2-3 minutes. Chop the apricots and olives coarsely.
2. 2. Place oil in pan, and then add the chicken breasts. Cook 2-3 minutes on one side. Then turn the chicken; add the garlic, apricots, and olives. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or when the garlic begins to soften.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients; reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook 5-7 minutes turning the chicken once or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove the chicken from the pan; increase the heat to medium. Cook the sauce 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Slice the chicken and serve with the sauce over rice.Honey Glazed Chicken
With a crispy and flavor-filled coating this recipe will soon become a Family Favorite.
Mix together in a plastic bag:
1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9 X 13" baking dish with:
2 Tbsp of olive oil
Dip the chicken pieces in a little milk to moisten.
1- 3-4 lb chicken, cut up
Drop each piece of chicken into the mixture in the plastic bag and shake to coat well. Arrange pieces evenly in the baking dish and bake for 35 minutes.
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 TB soy sauce or tamari
2 tsp. curry powder
Pour this mixture over the chicken and bake an additional 45 minutes or until done. Baste occasionally. Serves 6Brown Rice Pilaf
The secret to brown rice is to never uncover the pan until the at least 40 minutes of cooking time has elapsed.
1. Bring to boil in a saucepan over moderately high heat:
3 Cups water or chicken broth
1/4 cup whole wheat kernels or wild rice
or additional 1/4 cup brown rice
1/4 cup slivered, sliced or chopped almonds
1 1/4 Cups long grain brown rice, wash if needed
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, optional
2. Turn to very low heat, cover with tight fitting lid and simmer for 40-60 minutes. Do not uncover first 40 minutes of cooking.
3. Test for doneness: Insert spoon straight down through the rice to the bottom of the pot and press a bit to one side. If no water remains, taste rice for tenderness. Do not stir. If not done, cover and cook 10 minutes longer, or as needed until done.
4. Fold in lightly sautéed chopped green onion or garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.